I don't know about you, but I'm tired of seeing the snapshots of conflict and human rights abuses in the news, where wars are covered for a month and then seemingly forgotten. For me, the worst part is that the innocent, mainly the children in war zones, suffer most. That's why I've partnered with a truly inspiring organization, Justice Rising International, to use this summer to send ten children living in conflict zones to school for a year. It's a modest goal, and we could do much more, but since this is my first campaign, I am shooting for impacting just ten lives.
Gaspar is a student in one of the Justice Rising schools in the Eastern DRC. Check out the 2-minute video above about how he overcame the trauma of war and dreams to change his community.
The perks of a small-scale, large impact organization like Justice Rising is that I can trust my money is having the maximum impact, and they can be extremely transparent with us about their work. Right now, they have built and are operating 7 schools in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, are funding education programs for students in Syria, and are rebuilding a girls' school burned down by the Islamic State in Iraq.
Currently, they have 1,400+ students enrolled and educated each year, 60+ teachers/faculty trained and employed, nearly 100% student pass rate on national exams, and complete gender parity in their classrooms...AND IT ONLY TAKES $50 TO SEND A CHILD TO ONE OF THESE SCHOOLS FOR A YEAR!!!
Some fast facts*:
- Staying in school can be a child's alternative to an early marriage.
- Staying in school can mean less risk of becoming a child soldier.
- Staying in school can mean a literate workforce, increasing productivity.
- Staying in school can mean literate parents, reducing infant mortality.
- Staying in school is correlated with support for democratic processes.
- Staying in school is a MAJOR win for women's empowerment, increasing females' career path options and the weight of their input to society.
So this summer, join the movement! Most of you probably know me, but if you need more information or have any questions about donating even just $1 per student, you can reach me at email@example.com or (310) 488-3363. Thank you for considering a gift toward the education of ten lives.
Have a blessed day,
*Want more info? Go to https://www.justicerising.org/our-work-overview/